Sunday 17 February 2013

Life During The Japanese Occupation

Life During The Japanese Occupation
 

15 February 1942 marked the beginning of suffering for all Singaporeans, rich or poor. People all around was devastated when they heard about the surrender of the British to Japan. The Japanese introduced lots of changes to Singapore's system such as the currency, law and order and also the name of our beloved country.

Back then during that period, Singapore was known as Syonan To which means " The Light Of The South ". Not only did the name of our beloved country changed, we were also forced to sing Japan's national anthem at that time. It was called Kimigayo. We had to face towards the direction of Japan while singing the national anthem. It was a new thing for us and it took us some time to adapt with the new national anthem as it was hard to pronounce the words.

Another change which took place during the Japanese Occupation was the currency of our money. The currency changed drastically from Singapore Dollars to Japanese ' banana notes '. It is called banana notes as there is a picture of a banana tree at every single piece of notes. A disadvantage about these notes is that these notes are unlimited. These means that whenever the Japanese had a shortage of these notes, all they had to do was to print out more of these notes. There was also no serial numbers on these notes which makes it easier to forge it.Due to that, the value of these 'banana notes' dropped and prices began to soar. This makes life harder for us.

Banana Notes
Ration Cards






We were also forced to take up Japanese subjects in our school. All subject's in our school was thought in Japanese. It was hard for we students to adapt to these changes as we could not understand Japanese. Some parents resorted to finding a tuition teacher who teaches English or even Mother Tounge to their child to avoid their child from losing out.

Movies in cinemas and the radio station broadcasting in Singapore was played in Japanese. Most movies on the cinema was about the Japanese winning the war one by one.They would also show propaganda films to influence we Singaporeans in working together with them.Those caught listening to foreign radio stations were severely punished.

Lastly, the Japanese rationed out food when they were experiencing food shortage as all resources were distributed to the Japanese in effort to help the Japanese in conquering other parts of Asia. Hence , each household was given a number of ration cards to help them purchase essential goods. This resulted in a huge queue when collecting rations and at times, supplies were not sufficient to distribute throughout the crowd.

We were waiting for the time when the Japanese surrenders, we waited and waited till the day finally came...




Source: 2007) Singapore From Settlement To Nation Pre-1819 to 1971 (Second Edition), Times Centre,1 New Industrial Road, Singapore 536196, Marshall Cavendish Education

Images from Google Images( Date Found: 17 February 2013 )



35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thks!!this helped me a lot in my history project! I even learnt a lot of things just reading it.It is also very easy to read.:)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this a true recount by you ( A teenager back then ) or are you just posting what you know about the Japanese Occupation of Singapore? 'Cause I am using your informations to fill up my history homework, which had to be a recount by someone who was a teenager back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In other words, was it written by you? If not, please state the name of the author who wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey can you tell us this source is accounted by a specific person?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is really his own recount because the title is "MY LIFE during the Second World War in Singapore". Thank you for the info, it helped me alot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is the person who wrote this letter a survivor of the japanese occupation in singapore? What is the name of the writer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is freaking awesome,thanks cause my project is easier

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mr Hafiz,

    I am A Singaporean Student working on my History Project. I would like to inform you that I had sent a gmail chat invite to our google profile as I would like to ask you some questions regarding the Japanese Occupation. Please do consider this as this would be part of my end of year exam grade. Thank You.

    Regards,
    A Singaporean Student

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this primary source?? I would like to know your name as I am working on my history project and thank too, it helped me a lot more in understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. omt this totally helped me in my history which is graded...

    ReplyDelete
  12. what is the name of the tuition school? Do u have a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dont think this is the primary source. the facts found here similar to what I found in other websites.

    if this is the primary source, may I know where is the japanese school located back then?

    ReplyDelete
  14. THKS! It was useful info!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BTW, my name is Chengyi:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. the one just on top;D

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for sharing this good piece of history.it helped my daughter get a kick start on her social studies homework

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much !! It had helped me a lot !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Every body,

    My name is Mrs. Monica Roland. I live in UK London and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs. Monica Roland that refer you to him. contact Mr. Mr Andre Fundt Bone via email:

    #Mail: creditopersonal14@gmail.com

    #WhatsApp: +33 7 56 89 68 32

    site : www.agricolcoorperation.com

    ReplyDelete

  20. You can't believe what i just got,… A loan of $ 60,000. I have been looking for a loan for the past 2years until i was referred to a legitimate lender. Though it was not that easy to approve my loan, as you know nothing good comes easy. But I got my loan within 4 hours i got my loan, and before i knew it, the loan was transferred to me. please friends, don't let any body deceive you and scam you for this is real. Contact them via Email: gaincreditloan1@gmail.com OR You can also whatsApp them at: at +1-(901)676-0641 (WhatsApp Only)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Youve been hit by Youve been struck by. A smooth criminal

    ReplyDelete